Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Sick??

Linc hardly ever gets sick.(Knocks on wood). It used to be he'd pick up any random bug that came to him, and he'd pass it back and forth to mommy for months. But after he had a heart surgery right after his 1st birthday, he gained a lot of weight and got pretty strong and healthy almost immediately. It's only about every 6 months now he gets a stomach flu or cold or something. I guess the last time was right before Christmas, so he's about due.

Last night Linc woke me up with his whining at 2AM, and he was burning up. He wouldn't let us take his temperature all night, not in the ear or armpit or anything. Children's Tylenol helped it go down some and helped him sleep. He slept in this morning, and awoke still running a fever but as happy as ever, wanting to go outside and play. Of course I wouldn't allow it. He has no symptoms of anything except the fever, which is going away with the help of medicine.

At first I thought this was great, that this is the first time Lincoln's gotten sick that he can talk to us in full sentences. He was totally doing that last night. "No, I want Daddy." "I need Mama." "No No No I need a diaper on!" "I want more apple juice please Mama." etc. But I called the pediatrician, and they of course told me a fever can mean many different things. To try to give more specifics, I approached Linc and asked him,"Does your head hurt Lincoln?" "Yes, head hurt." "Do your ears hurt?" "Yes, ear sick." "Does your tummy hurt?" "Yes, tummy." and he'd point to each as he replied. At this point I realized the futility of this exercise and asked him,"Do your feet hurt?" and he grabbed his feet and said,"Yes, feet hurts." We may as well have been singing "Head Shoulders Knees and Toes" together.

It's pointless to ask him anything. He's far too suggestible. So I'm just gonna assume he's just fine, just had a fever last night because.... well, I don't know why. But I don't think he's really very sick. Does anyone disagree, do fevers always mean something significant?

1 comment:

Kendra said...

Web MD is an excellent resource for anything like that, but fevers can mean many things like your doctor said. A fever is on of the body's first defenses against viruses, colds, bacterial infections, etc.

He's the link for information on children: http://children.webmd.com/tc/fever-age-3-and-younger-topic-overview