Monday, June 16, 2008

Cold Shower

Stealing an idea from my cousin's potty training method, today I gave Lincoln a cold shower when he had an accident while laying on my bed watching Sesame Street.

Lincoln is doing much better at potty training. I have a lot more confidence that in the fall Lincoln can start at whatever preschool we select, and the potty training is not going to be the thing holding him back and keeping him out of preschool. We will soon begin the shift from 'underwear at home, pullups when we go out' and do underwear ALL THE TIME. There are occasional accidents at home, a couple a day, but he's a lot more willing lately to use the toilet and stay dry so he can get the reward of coins in his piggy bank. He loves that!

Oh anyways..... despite some protesting/tantrum episodes when I thought he should go and he does not agree, he stayed dry all morning today! Then I had some phone calls and distractions and he went too long inbetween sessions, so he made my bed a little wet. Grrr. I had warned him that if he does not use the potty and stay dry, he'd get a cold shower. So I finally had to show him I'm not bluffing, although..... it made me sad. I didn't want to do anything punitive in this process, but I see a little punishment as incentive may not be so bad.

So he screeched his way through a chilly shower.I made sure it was cold, but not hypothermia-inducing icy water or anything close to that. I only let it last a minute or so, then I helped him out of the shower and into a diaper, because it was naptime. He sniffled and looked forlornly at me.Awww. I really hope this works as good as it did for Mason. I feel kind of like a mean mommy now.

5 comments:

Keeping Up With the Jones said...

I know, the guilt is horrible. But I swear, it only took one shower to show Mason I was serious that he needed to go in the potty. Since then if he needs to go but doesn't want to all I have to say is "if you wet your pants you will get a shower" and that sends him running for the potty!

M A Haddox said...

You can also threaten the, "You will lose you family inheritance to your unborn sibling" as well. This makes things biblical.

Kendra said...

I don't know if you're looking for more advice or not, but something my mom did with my brothers (this is typically easier on a regular toilet) is she took a few fruit loops and let them float in the toilet water. The goal was to have them basically shoot them down. It was effective, all of a sudden potty time became a fun activity.

Juliet said...

:) LOL That is a cute idea Kendra! That's a good way to teach the 'standing up while peeing' skill, I've heard that before. But so far we are just having him do this sitting down. I've asked his daddy to teach him, but he says he needs to want to use the potty consistently first and then he'll teach him the standing thing. But totally, the fruit loops will be a good helpful tool when he learns that. I thought cheerios, but actually fruit loops are a bit larger and bright colors are easier to see. That'll be good. We're probably almost to that point actually, thx for reminding me, I will ask again if it's still too soon to begin that skill.

And another update for all: Linc's doing pretty good still! But I don't think the cold shower thing that worked for Mason so well is very effective on Lincoln. He still kept doing it, even after a couple more showers. Oh well, it's different for everyone. The reward of the piggy bank seems more effective for him.

M A Haddox said...

I don't see any reason for teaching standing up unless it's in a wall mounted toilet in a public bathroom. All your asking for otherwise is a lot of mess to clean up at home.

Even today, I still sit down cause my mother taught me it's cleaner. I also know that the Quran(sp?) teaches that you should not stand up to go to the restroom... lol, the interesting things you learn on your mission.