Friday, May 29, 2009

Flummoxed! Well maybe that's not the right term exactly...

I wanted to post quick about how I love my ward, and I'll put pictures of the new basement on too.

I guess me and Mike would be happy anywhere as long as we are together with our sons and all doing well. We have lived in 5 wards since we've been married, 6 different residences (thats a big part of why I don't want to move again for a long LONG time) and have really liked all the wards we've attended, just because we decided the church is true everywhere and you can either choose to enjoy the people you live by and be happy or you can nitpick and be a grouchy neighbor. We've had some neighbor problems and landlord problems in those places, but the spirit of any congregation is the same in our experience. And in our current home.... well, I just love it more every day. If we ever move I might be tempted to just lift this house off the foundation and drag it to a new location and simply build a few more rooms on the back of it as needed because I don't want to repaint a new place in the colors I like and then there's carpet and drapes and everything and spend endless hours deciding where to put things AGAIN. Yep, I realize a bunch of my attachment is to the people living here with me but still....

This house is where we've lived the longest and became a family, 4 years of our almost 7 year marriage. Where we went from 'Mike and very pregnant Juliet' to Lincoln, Grant and parents, and a few pets have come and gone in the meantime as well. Lincoln has spent endless hours with the 8-10 kids from next door and 2 doors down, they all just filter into each others homes and yards all summer long and they are welcome almost all day long in any of those 3 places.

We've both done church callings given talks and tried to be good neighbors. Still I am shocked by how sweet our fellow ward members can be sometimes when it seems we don't do as much to help them.
I have a friend a few blocks away with breast cancer. If anyone in this world is gonna beat it, it's her. Not only because of her strength and optimism through this, but because she really really needs to.

She has 4 sweet little boys. The oldest is ten.

On Wed. she had another round of chemo, her..... 4th of her every other week treatment I think she said. The side affects of the chemo affect her pretty mildly compared to how it does to others, so she just lays low at home with family and rests through the weekend after a "chemo Wednesday week". But this morning she called me to check on me and make sure my eye operation last week went well and I wasn't in pain. I was just bowled over that she would think of me at this time! What an angel.

For people like that (and actually there are lots of other ward members who'd do the same. Great people.) we can put up with the graffiti periodically put on fences around the corner from us, and the crimes sometimes on the news that are within a few miles. Wouldn't you put up with a lot too? I mean my goodness that left me flabbergasted.

After that beautiful story, here's my beautiful home. The Before and After pictures.

Before we moved in, some pictures Mike's mom took of the house. It was a rental property before it was sold to us.







Many improvements and decoratings were done with my Aunt Hollie's help right after we bought it, and then some improvements over the years including the recent putting up a wall in the basement downstairs so Linc has his own room, and here it is now.







1 comment:

Afton or Brooke said...

your kitchen is so cute! i love it. just reading about your ward makes me love them too! :)