Friday, May 22, 2009

Surgery today

I have my blogspot (office) back together! And the downstairs is completed, Lincoln loves his new room! Pictures soon really because it turns out for the next week I'll have nothing but time here at home or within walking (strollering) distances. I'm going in for eye surgery today and can't drive for a week afterwards. Hopefully me and the little boys don't go too stir crazy here at home.

I have a case of adult strabismus. I've had it for who knows how long, a couple years I think. It's actually leftover from trying to surgically correct it in my early years, but I suppose it came back at some point. It does not really effect my vision, and I think it fluctuates and gets worse when I'm really tired or stressed. My left eye looks straight forward as it's supposed to, and my right eye looks outward. They do move together but don't point the same direction, it's called extropia strabismus. Like 1% of the adult population has it and can usually correct it with prism glasses or sometimes injections into the eye. I am sure glad that's not an option for me, can you imagine a needle going straight into your eye??!! (That would still be lots more minor than what my poor baby Grant has been through. Little sweetheart.)

This is a good recent photo example of me facing the camera. Remember I am stressed and tired here because I hurriedly took the boys to this ward Halloween party, and I'd just been on our 1st trip out to California that week. So it's pretty obvious in this one.


The only option for me is a surgery wherein the dr. will look at the muscles around and under the eyelids while I am sedated and either make them a little bigger or a little smaller. The Dr doing it has been Lincoln's pediatric ophthalmologist since he was an infant, and he also specializes in this surgery which is not really very complex. I go in a couple hours and will be home by tonight, it's outpatient and recovery shouldn't be so bad.

Compared to Grant's cornea transplant this is absolutely a cake walk. I had an eye exam in early December where the pediatric ophthalmologist told me the only way to fix it would be him doing this surgery, and he said I should either get it done in the next few days when he had some OR times free, or wait until Grant is much more stable post-op. And Grant is doing awesome!

Doing this right before Christmas would have been stupid. I still might be crazy to get this non urgent surgery done while I have a baby in diapers and a loud 3 year old. But I have a awesome husband, and he said he can handle the 10x a day eyedrops and the boys and all that for 3 days to a week, so he encouraged me to get it done now. So that's the plan for today. Wish us luck.

1 comment:

Kendra said...

I'm glad to hear the surgery went well and wish you a speedy recovery!