Saturday, February 23, 2008

Little boy glasses

I'm writing this up to explain before I say what happened Thursday, but I don't mean to sound grim about this. Lincoln really is doing great and this has been drawn out over his whole 2 1/2 year life so it's really not so bad.

My little guy has had glasses since he was..... about 6 months old. He was born with cloudy looking blue eyes, and started seeing a pediatric opthamolagist within a week of his birth. It sure was easier to do exams at that age then it is now. His doctor shines lights into his eyes and has him focus his eyes on objects far and close, and has come up with some diagnosises and perscriptions for Lincoln. He immediatley diagnosed the cloudy eyes as scholera cornea, and that's a genetic trait he got from me. He has some veins in his eyes as well which occasionally become red and irritated, but he takes eyedrops daily which are reducing the size of those, because if they grew into his eyeball he could go blind. That's my genetics too. And as I said, he's had glasses since 6 months old, but it was about a year after that he would actually wear them and not tear them off his face constantly. His perscription has changed several times since he got the glasses, each time the left eye is getting worse and worse. The only way to fix that is by patching his right eye a few hours a day..... that is, like the glasses, a process that is now showing some improvement slowly. And when he was an infant in the opthamolagist's office, we could quite easily do the exams. Now that Lincoln is a willful little toddler who panics when the lights go dim and we take off his glasses, we've had to put him under anistetic in an OR for short time periods to do the exams and get new perscriptions. Since his first one last summer, I think we've done 2 of those, and another one may be soon.

Lincoln a few weeks ago at the train show. Closest most recent picture of the old glasses.

Well, after all that explaination! I just wanted to show off a picture of Linc's new glasses. He got a new perscription at the beginning of December. I had to wait a bit to put it in and order new frames for him. We wanted him to have a new pair of frames, and to keep the old ones as a backup set just in case. Even though he is a rowdy little boy, the glasses destructiveness has been very minimal considering his age. Until now...

Thursday morning I was driving and Linc was reading a book in the backseat, and I heard him take off his glasses and drop them on the floor but first I heard this awful SNAP. He broke his glasses right in the middle of the nose piece! I don't even know how he did it, since I wasn't watching him right then. Oh boy was I mad! They are unrepairable when broken that way, and I could hardly look at him for hours after that. I should go easy on him, he's so young, but I was so upset! Lucky for him, the new glasses were ready the next morning. Here's how the new ones look.

Such a cutie. See how one side is so much bigger then the other, so it droops down? Awww. He's adorable, and I hope the eyes improve. He functions quite well with his glasses on. He now asks for them and puts them on himself daily, and takes them off his own face when he's getting dressed or to nap.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you had a back up pair!!