Friday, January 25, 2008

A miracle at home thanks to Rachel

I don't know if my HS friend Rachel has been online, read her comments and come to my blog yet but when she does this will sure be a nice greeting. Something happened at my house yesterday that could have been really really bad but thanks to me getting distracted by Rachel (well, really because Heavenly Father should get the credit for sending promptings my way) it was just a little mess. So thanks to Rachel and to God.


OK so here is the story. In my house I have this kinda big laundry and food storage room, which is also the furnace room. And because of the way it is built it is really freezing cold in there because there is a big vent to the outside to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. It makes the whole basement and esp. the laundry room almost uninhabitable (I'm talking it's probably 50 degrees max there) from December thru March. I heat the rest of the basement as much as I can, and I just rush in and out and do laundry only when I REALLY have to and as fast as I can with sweaters on in those months. I have been telling Mike for a long time that it is too cold down there to do anything and there must be a way to fix it, but he couldn't think of a way and just didn't believe it was a big problem. Now he believes me.

Yesterday I knew I had to run at least 2-3 loads of laundry. While Linc napped, I sorted clothes and then I looked at Rachel's blog. I had tried a few days ago when I learned of it, and it mysteriously wouldn't load. I am grateful for that now. So I looked at it, browsed through last year's archive quickly, then put some clothes in the machine. I left a comment, then logged off and went upstairs to get Linc up. I had to go to a store soon before it closed, so I got shoes on us while I heard the washer filling with water normally. Then I grabbed my purse and stuff and started wondering,"How far away is Rachel now?" and got distracted. I took out my atlas(which I have never used before) and took a little time mentally planning/fantasizing a summer trip to Cinncinati to visit my aunt, then driving up to Cleavland to see Rachel's baby. And all of a sudden I heard the washer draining-but not normal sounding through the pipes, I could immediately tell it was spraying all over. And I had planned on leaving at least 20 min. earlier! That water was coming out fast, too! It stopped immediately by turning off the machine and I just had a bit of a water mess to clean up. But if I had left as planned,within minutes my laundry room would have flooded, probably would have ruined the majority of the food storage I've painstakingly built up, and then just across the hall is the computer and all my instruments, important papers and photo collections. Not to mention all the clothes (sorted laundry piles) which would have been floating and growing mildew atop the carpet.

Well, there was an ice chunk blockage in the drainage pipe. So NOW Mike believes as urgently as I do we need to fix the furnace room, I'm glad there was no damages. Thanks mostly to God, but Rachel can take some of the credit. Thanks Rach! :)

Yesterday there was that and a bunch more minor problems that seemed like everything was just trying to get us to not be able to go to the temple for a stake temple meeting last night. Satan was trying really hard to keep us away from there I think, but we showed him. We barely made it on time, but we got there. So HA!

I am so grateful I had the Spirit with me enough and I listened enough, or just let myself be guided enough to be at home for a bit more time. I am also grateful I got to go to the temple last night because it was great, I hardly ever get to go and I loved it. That's all for today. Bye!

3 comments:

Jessica Haddox said...

Sounds like you were really blessed! I'd be really careful about ice getting in your washer as well. Our first day in our Ammon house, we moved our washer and dryer out of storage and started a load of laundry when a large chunk of ice somewhere inside our washer started an electrical fire. Luckily, like you, we were home. You need to do something about that room!

The Hazard Chronicles said...

I am glad I could be of help :). It is a good thing you were home, it would be awful if your pictures were ruined!

I would love for you to come and visit us here in Cleveland! You are welcome to come any time you would like. There is a lot to do, and soon even more because of our little baby girl that is on her way.

I enjoyed reading your blog and I am excited that we have an easier way to keep in touch.

Talk to you soon.
-Rach

The Hazard Chronicles said...

Do you know if any of our other friends from High School have blogs?