Well, the trip was good. Left Sunday the 26th, came back Tuesday the 28th. I'm really really glad we got to go, thanks to my mom paying our way this time for a trip to CA and also to Mike's family for watching Lincoln part of the time we were gone. Oh and "Uncle Chris!!!" got to watch him also. We missed Lincoln and he missed us. Every time we called to talk on the phone to him the first thing he'd say is "Mama where's baby Grant?", he actually thought we were gonna leave him somewhere and was worried. He's a really protective sweet older brother.
We went to Aunt Hollie's house, and saw Dave and Merideth with their families also. Crew is a little mini-Luke, and Luke is awesome! Lincoln woulda had a blast with that boy, I'm sad they haven't met yet because they'd be good buddies. We had lots of fun there.
Google searches on 'Infant Cornea Transplants' turned out to be really helpful. We went to USC-San Diego Shiley Eye Center to meet Dr. Stuart Brown Monday morning, Oct. 27th. Mike had read about him online and seen his picture, I didn't see even his picture until we got there and when I saw it at the office I whispered,"Mike! That guy is so old!How could he correct Grant's eyes?" (He's 70ish) but apparently he invented the process of pediatric cornea transplantation about 30 years ago and since then has done 200 of them. He told us other cornea specialists who've done only 1 or 2 infant transplants will tell us to wait a long time or that they usually reject. But he does it really carefully, has learned what will work on infants and has an 80% success rate. Compared to the 10% we had heard previously, that's a HUGE difference!!
Dr. Brown confidently said he's the best there is in the world for this procedure, in a tone that made me expect the next thing he'd say would be,"And I'm an awesome dancer too. And I drive a big car." I guess he's either just really self-confident, or he knows he's THE SHIZ and isn't afraid to say it! For Grant's sake, I sure hope it's the latter. Because Mike was pretty much immediately convinced that we should do whatever this guy tells us to. As for me, well I've been harder to convince. I really want to be cautious about this, Grant is important. Not to mention the obvious, that Dr. Brown is 750 miles away and this is gonna require a lot of followup visits and close monitoring afterwards.
We went to L.A. in the afternoon, met Dr. Rabinowitz at Cedar-Saini. He's traveled all over the world doing infant cornea transplants. He's done about 100. I thought we should go there because his clinic is focused on genetically inherited cornea issues. Mike would still rather go to San Diego, even without the focus on genetics they'd have there and the fact we know NOBODY anywhere close there.
Obviously, we're still a bit undecided. It's really hard, a lot to deal with. We go back to San Diego in a few weeks, and meet w/the Salt Lake cornea specialist before then as well. We'll figure out what to do sometime soon. Just pray for us. And Grant too, if his eyes just cleared up suddenly and he started seeing everything that'd be so awesome. I told Mike we should step him up to daily priesthood blessings and then Heavenly Father just has to fix the eyes if everyone will pray and fast enough and are annoying children to Him, and He won't be able to deny us. I think we should all do that. But Mike said something about 'vain repetitions' and shook his head no.
Also in CA, we went to an In'N Out Burger for lunch. I would get so fat if I lived in California, I tell ya. I'd start eating all foods "animal-style" and die of a heart attack within a decade. But the San Diego temple and the beach will have to be another time, another trip.
And Monday night we drove to Fullerton to see my cousin Erin. Her husband was busy at school, but we saw her and met her daughter Eva. What a big gorgeous baby girl! It was sure fun to go over and visit, eat dinner and exchange baby presents. :)
Ok now for the pictures! The boys were so cute. Friday the 24th there was a ward Halloween party I almost forgot about. While I was hurriedly getting the boys in their costumes so we could go to it, I realized it was the first time I was putting the boys in costume this year. With all the fall festivals during October and chances I had let pass by for Lincoln to dress up, I felt guilty. I've been so busy with dr visits for Grant. Mostly I was just anxious about Grant, the upcoming trip, and that both drs. in CA would encourage an immediate transplant surgery, making me stay there and miss taking Lincoln to anything for Halloween the next week. So after the ward party, I took lots of pictures of the boys in costume, to make up for my expected absence.



Then the next day, took them to a pumpkin patch in Draper. Oh well, at least one of the boys enjoyed themselves.

As it turns out, of course we did come back Tuesday as scheduled. Linc went to his last tumbling class/Halloween party that night, and to his delight he was 1 of 2 dressed as Spidermans!And those 2 kids just thought they should stick together that night. It was pretty cute how thrilled Lincoln was to see another Spiderman.

Then Friday was the trunk or treat, followed by Mike taking Lincoln out with his cousin Sarah and her nephew Chase to a few houses. Then since Grandma and Grandpa Milne and Aunt Maralyn were in town and the trick or treaters were done for the night, we went to my mom's house to visit with them. Very fun day.

Since Grant was just going to be covered by a jacket and blanket and in a baby carrier while I handed out candy at Trunk or Treat, I didn't even use his costume that day. Instead he wore a onesie with Spiderman on it all day, and Lincoln kept calling him "little Spiderman" then calling himself "Big Spiderman!".
He had a party at preschool in the midst of that week also.... pictures I took there are rather unremarkable. However, the amount of candy he got (and quality) was great. With all Linc did for Halloween, it's kinda silly I thought he'd miss out on Halloween while I'm too busy and he'd get no candy and resent me for the rest of his life. :) LOL.




1 comment:
Thank you for posting! We are praying for you and I'm sure you will make the right decision, Good Luck!
Also Lincoln looks so good in his "muscle" costume - what a buff little man.
Post a Comment