Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Happy Festivus Everybody!

First of all....... I don't know what's up with the twitter. I hope it's fixed, and won't do any more of that jibberish it did. Hmmmm.....

Well here's the scoop.

I'm leaving for Vegas with both boys the day after Christmas. While Mike stays in SLC and works, I'll be there with my dad and stepmom to visit for a while. January 6th Mike will fly into Vegas, and the next morning we will drive with Grant down to San Diego. Lincoln is gonna stay in Nevada at my dad's house for about a month. I will miss him so so much. And the surgery on the left eye will be January 8th, with daily checkups for a few weeks afterwards and (I've read) hourly eyedrops and staying at a Ronald McDonald house of some sort, Mike flying back and forth once or twice in that month..... well, it's a pretty crazy time for us. It'll be stressful. I'm excited to have it over with.

Anyways, now the real reason for a post today.

I LOVE FESTIVUS! I think I like Festivus even more than I like Christmas. :)

If you don't know what Festivus is, it's my duty to educate you! Here is the wikipedia link where there is an explanation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festivus

So every year for quite a while now, my brothers and I ritualistically celebrate Festivus. We watch the episode (or sometimes just act it out. Yeah, those years are.... interesting.), eat bagels and cream cheese, and have a festivus pole out somewhere close. Then there's the airing of grievances which is always amusing, and the feats of strength. That's basically just a big wrestling match of whoever wants to participate in it that year. Then whenever we can declare a champion of the feats of strength, festivus is over much to the relief of Mike. He is exasperated every year with the silliness of this tradition we have.

December 23rd is the "official" date from the Seinfeld episode, we do it that day if we can, or we do it early if we're going to be in different places for the holidays. This year it's on the real date! But Chris and Mike aren't coming.

Party poopers.

We will be with them tomorrow morning, doing things all day for Christmas Eve pretty much. There will be residual festivities then, to make up for them missing the pole tonight.

I love the silliness and simplicity and family time of festivus. Although it's kind of an anti-Christmas holiday, it always puts me into the Christmas mood.

So happy festivus to all! Have a great day.

No comments: