Monday, September 15, 2008

Best laid plans go to pot once again

So this time, hoping to avoid what happened last time I delivered a baby, I persuaded my dr. into scheduling an induction date for me a week before the 40 week mark. I was really not excited when I thought about managing a willful 3 year old while huge and in early "walking" labor. That's the awful type of labor that can come and go for days or even over a week with intermmitent and unpredictable contractions, sometimes weak but sometimes strong enough to make you cry. The kind they won't admit you to the hospital for.

I got through 4 days of that last time before the dr finally, FINALLY just saw how I was being tortured and admitted me to the hospital. I'd tried about 3 times to get in over the previous 3 days, being sent home each time. And when I finally got admitted and started active labor, the laboring went faster then they expected and I didn't complete the full dosage of IV antibiotics I was supposed to have for Group B Strep (a very common strep strain they test for in the last trimester). Luckily, it seems I was close enough to finished to avoid infecting Lincoln with anything, but if they would have just let me in the night before when I was absolutely begging them to.....

Oh well. This time it's a different dr, different hospital. I thought perhaps on the 22nd I could go in for my induction and complete the antibiotics before they even break my water, and the early labor contractions will not last so long and will be carefully monitored from the onset. I've totally planned this week out around the 22nd being delivery day.

And what actually happens? Along with some other early labor symptoms I won't gross you out with, significant early labor contractions began at 3AM this morning, then tapered off to nothing a few hours later. Yes, 2 full weeks before the due date! So much for planning!

I feel yucky, it's hard to eat much, even more difficult to sleep. Another baby subjects me to the joys of "walking labor". This boy clearly has exit plans of his own. I still don't know when, but it's looking like before the 22nd.

So Merideth, our boys birthdays might be real real close, with you delivering just a little late and me just a little early. Hope I get one as adorable as yours. :)

I'll write again when I have the baby pictures. Wish us luck!

2 comments:

Kendra said...

Congratulations!!!! Carl told me you'd delivered, but he didn't mention a name. Have you named him yet?

Afton or Brooke said...

congrats juliet! we can't wait to see the sweet little guy!