Friday, October 17, 2008

Grant's health

Well here's the skinny on it. Take a look at the left, at Grant's cloudy beautiful baby blue eyes at 2 days old. Newborns usually don't have cloudy eyes like that, but it's the norm in my family. I had it, so did my brothers, and Lincoln and Grant. But Grant's are far worse than anyone else's were. It's been determined that he cannot see much except lights. Soooo...... very soon maybe as soon as next week, he's up for a double cornea transplant. We meet with the surgeon Monday, and as long as together we can figure out an option that won't leave him worse off then he was before the surgery, we'll be going into the OR. We really really hope and pray he'll be able to see after the surgery, that it'll be successful and not reject and he can not have this setback for his whole lifetime.

Wow. What a downer I am, I totally started with the worst news. If you want to, start here and read down. Then read that above paragraph. Sorry bout that!




Grant has the same heart problems Lincoln was born with. We thought we were all clear this time, since no murmur was detected at the hospital. But no, it just took a little while to make any noise that's all. It's a PDA and an ASD, just like Lincoln's. You can Google those terms if you want to, I don't feel like explaining it all. When Linc was barely a year old, he had a small outpatient surgery where they put a cath into a vein at the top of his leg, ran it carefully all the way to his heart, then put a thing in there which closed off the open arteries and that's all there is to it. It's seriously, SERIOUSLY minor as far as heart surgeries go. Grant will have that done in a year unless there's the unlikely event that Cardiology determines it needs to be done sooner.

This'll be just fine and it's literally nothing I haven't done before. However, telling Mike's family there's another grandchild with (albeit minor) heart problems just weeks after they lost an infant family member (Mike's sweet nephew Ben) to heart and respiratory failure...... well, that's not fun for any of us. Makes me feel very insensitive when I tell them, but they do want to know so I've just tried to minimize it as no big deal, especially when telling the parents. Because it's true actually! It's not a big deal.

Finally, Grant after 2 tries has had only one of his ears pass the newborn hearing screening. My cousin Jessica assures me that's somewhat normal, and I'm gonna take her educated word for it. Another rescreen is scheduled for next week, and I think (hopefully) it'll come back good this time. I can't think on that too much right now, I have too much else to deal with obviously. So I'm just for now assuming that's going to be fine.

Other than a thrush diaper rash that required a couple prescriptions to quickly clear up, that's all. He breathes eats sleeps poops cries. Just my perfect, sweet little baby boy!

Grant is so adorable. Just so tiny and sweet. Sleeps a lot, eats every few hours, takes medicines without complaint, only cries when he's hungry or Lincoln is being obnoxious to him. I am really really lucky. After waiting so long, I am so glad he's here! His blessing was last Sunday (pictures pending), and whenever I take him out (mostly to the dr. or to Babies R' Us) I usually hear how adorable/sweet/small and precious he is, with exclamations about "All that hair on his head!".

We love him so much, and really do consider him pretty healthy. Blindness is not really a health issue, it's an issue of functionality. Neither is deafness or half deafness. It just makes you have to adapt differently to your surroundings. We'd like Grant to be able to function in the world as much as possible, which seems to have a lot of driving, reading, computers, etc. The heart problems..... well, that sucks really. But at least they are easily fixable ones. Compared to lots of people we got off way easy. I am so glad he was "Granted" to us by Heavenly Father. Even with all the office visits recently (10 since we left the hospital, and it's just beginning) we feel so blessed to have him here.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Good luck with everything. We are praying for little Grant and you! Keep us updated on how he is doing.

Mrs.Goates said...

Seriously Juliet, you are the most positive person I know. Our prayers are with you!